Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sometimes my heart hurts

The more I think about how much I am justnotTHATmom, the more I realize that there are ways that I am THAT mom when I want to be. I have a huge heart and sometimes I care too much. Sometimes I am not realistic. Sometimes I neglect my own needs to care for others. It's hard though, with all of the people that "need" in our world. How can I NOT give? I just started thinking about homeless children today and how they don't really get to celebrate their birthdays and how sad that is. It's sad that they probably don't even know what day it is, and if they do they won't get a birthday party with cake, and friends, and presents.
Sometimes I feel helpless when I think about things like that. But then I remember the things I CAN control. Like last year when I had my Girl Scout troop make "care packages" for ten children at our local school for homeless children. That felt nice knowing that ten little kids would be opening them up and be excited to receive something new (even if it wasn't toys or candy). I guess Paul Shane Spear was right when he said "As one person I cannot change the world, but I can change the world of one person." What have you done lately to help change the world for one person?

No comments:

Post a Comment